Wednesday, March 18, 2015

A Q&A Interview with Former MLB Pitcher Tanyon Sturtze

I had the pleasure of doing a Q&A interview with former MLB pitcher Tanyon Sturtze recently. Sturtze played from 1995-2008 for the Chicago Cubs, Texas Rangers, Chicago White Sox, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Toronto Blue Jays, New York Yankees, and the Los Angeles Dodgers.                  
  1. When did you first start playing baseball?
     
     When I was six years old playing with my dad.  I was fortunate enough to have my dad around to teach me a lot of things about the game growing up.  I played Tee ball, little league, high school, college, and then I was fortunate enough to make it to the big leagues.


    2.  What was the feeling when you were first drafted by the Oakland A's?

     "SHOCKED!"  I was at a game, and afterwards my cousin was driving me home.  My lights were on in my house and I thought it was weird at that time of the night.  My brother was usually asleep by then but when I walked into the house he was up and waiting on me.  I asked him what was going on he said "you've been drafting by the Oakland A's!" it was an amazing feeling.


   3.  Do you remember the brawl that you were involved on July 24, 2004 vs the New York Yankees?

         I was starting that game.  Arod had been hit in the previous game causing tension that overlapped into the next game when Arod was hit yet again causing him and Jason Varitek to start throwing punches.  I had nothing against Gabe Kapler or any of those guys, I was just trying to protect a team mate.  It escalated a little than it should have.


4.  Who was someone, either a coach or team mate you looked up to during your career?

      In the early 90's, the Oakland A's were stacked.  We had guys like Ricky Henderson, Mark McGwire, and Jose Canseco.  But the guy I looked up to the most was Bob Welch.   He really looked after me. I'll never forget the day we were taking ground balls on the field as he was giving me advice about how to play the game.  He took me under his wing.  We hung out.  We ate together.  We hung out in the clubhouse.

5.  What was your favorite moment during your Major League career?

    It was the first game after 911 I was pitching for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at that time.  I was starting that game opposite of Roger Clemens and before the game we were singing the National Anthem, while they were holding the American flag in the middle of the field, as the planes flew over the stadium the emotions were incredible.  Everyone was crying.  I ended up beating Clemens that day 2-1.  

6.  How is the retirement life treating you?                                                                       

     I miss baseball. It was a hard adjustment.  It was tough adjusting the first two years of retirement after doing baseball for 20+ years.  It was hard to come to the realization that I wouldn't be playing baseball anymore.  Now, I have my wife and two year old daughter whom I spend a lot of time with.  I have more time to do a lot of golfing.  The retirement life is really great now!   
                                                                  -Jared Pate

No comments:

Post a Comment