Monday, February 8, 2016

Interview With New York Mets Prospect Dillon Becker

This past weekend, I was fortunate enough to have a Q&A interview with New York Mets prospect Dillon Becker.  Drafted in the 16th round of the 2015 MLB draft, Becker had a very solid season with the Kingsport Mets.  This past season, he accumulated a 2-1 record, with an ERA of 3.86, while striking out 18 batters in 14.0 innings.  Becker will look to continue his strong play in 2016.

1) What has been your favourite part of the offseason so far?

Being able to enjoy time with family and do some hunting. I also have been able to dedicate myself to a strict diet and workout plan, which I feel has really prepared me for the upcoming season.

2) Explain what it was like being drafted by the New York Mets?

I have had a great experience since being drafted by the Mets. Admittedly it took some time to adjust to the professional grind but now that I have an idea of what it is like after my first short season I am very excited about the upcoming year. I love wearing blue and orange and representing the Mets in the best manner I can.

3) Is there a baseball player who you look up to?

This may come as a surprise but I have always been more of a football person, maybe being raised in Texas it has been implanted in my DNA. Having said that I probably most look up to Nolan Ryan because of the guts he had out on the mound.

4) What was your favorite part about playing for the Kingsport Mets?

My favorite part of playing in Kingsport was getting to meet all of the new draft guys that I will be starting my career with. I met a lot of great people that hopefully will become lifetime friends. The other part was just the introduction to pro ball and how everything works. It is a lot different than college ball and it was a great place for me to adjust to the next level.

5) After a very good 2015 season, what are your goals heading into the 2016 season?

I think I did okay this summer, but I have a lot more to prove to the organization. I have been working extremely hard this offseason to show everyone what I am capable of. My goal is to make a full season team and to at least end the season playing in Port St. Lucie with the High A affiliate.

6) Do you think Opening Day should be a National Holiday?

Opening Day as a national holiday does not seem out of reach considering there are days devoted to "hugs" and "friends". Given that baseball is the American past time, I would vote for it.


You can follow Dillon on twitter:  @DillonBecker7

No comments:

Post a Comment