Monday, January 18, 2016

Cespedes

Gentlemen,

Here we are again, on the edge of our seats for 18 hours-a-day.....watching and waiting for a player to "Finally Sign" with a team. I sometimes feel like "I'm being held hostage" by the player and his agent....when it's really the Media that fills our head with all the information (that we can't even verify is accurate....lol).

Too much speculation by reporters and loyal fans, being tweeted every 5 seconds, about where he should go, why we want him, what kind of contract THEIR team should offer him. I particularly love the tweets about what "freebies" some local restaurant or business will give him if he signs in that town, for that particular team. Let's look at the effectiveness of those points, from Cespedes' side of the equation.

1) Where he should go - These ideas come from people who live in the immediate area, probably frequent the ballpark, and suggest that he sign there "So They Can See Him Play" (they don't say that, but they mean that...lol). Motivation factor for Cespedes - 0

2) Why they want him - Isn't this the same for just about every team? Sure,one team really needs a LF, so he's "a good fit", but most reasons are because of his prodigious power. "We have a small ballpark" carries very little weight to a slugger like Cespedes....He'll hit HR's anywhere. He will improve just about any lineup. Motivation for Cespedes - 1

3) Contract amount - This one's very interesting. I never knew that a team's financials were available to the public, that so many readers/fans are actually "CPA's and Financial Wizards", and that those fans get to decide where the profits from a private corporation/Trust are allocated. Fact is....Cespedes has about 6-8 years to play, and the total contract amount over those years is what probably matters. Money drives the bus, but the fans aren't in the driver's seat! ...Motivation for Cespedes - 9

4) Freebies - Easily My Favorite - Let's do some math (not common core crap....real math...lol). Ready? Ok.....If he gets 5/$100 million for a contract, that breaks down to $54,000/day, 365 days per year, for those 5 years. I think he can afford to buy "his own crab cakes" in Baltimore (although they ARE the BEST anywhere). He can probably afford to buy the restaurant where the make them, and eat for FREE anyway.....LOL. Motivation for Cespedes - 0

HERE'S THE DEAL..........Everyone has their own ideas why Cespedes should sign with "Their Team". The FIRST TEAM to figure out what package is Best for Cespedes, and give THAT to him, will sign him to a deal.

That being said, I will bring forth my previous suggestion that The Marlins go after Cespedes. Miami has a Hispanic Culture (fits him), they have a need for a LF if they trade Ozuna and move Yelich back to CF (the position that HE wants to play), Jeff Loria is not afraid to open the checkbook for the right (crazy) deal....he has before.....(with revenue sharing, TV money, and Stanton's back-loaded deal, they could probably find money for Cespedes @ 5/$110).....plus they could give him an Opt-Out after 2 years, and a No-Trade Clause for those 2 years. No official Freebies needed......but I bet he doesn't pay for much if he comes here and gives Stanton the lineup protection that he needs (and he certainly WOULD do that). What a tandem batting back-to-back! Motivation for Cespedes - (I guess we need Loria to find out.....SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL HIM TO CALL YOENIS TODAY!)

Yea, I know.....I'm the Marlins Beat Writer, and I'm doing what I said people shouldn't do in the article above....... But the fact is...I have an ulterior motive that is not evident from any of my writing........

 The suspense is killing me.....NOT because it will any effect my bank account whatsoever, but because...... it WILL affect my Fantasy Baseball Team for 2016....I have Cespedes on my NL-only Keeper League!!!! ......LOL

From the Dugout
Montu Masters

No comments:

Post a Comment