Saturday, January 23, 2016

One year ago... (From My Perspective)

It was a Friday, January 23rd 2015.  I was sitting watching WGN.  At the end of the sports segment, just prior to 10pm, I saw "BREAKING NEWS" in big, bold, letters.  The title on the bar said "Ernie Banks Dies." I was in a state of shock.  I could hardly believe what was happening.  I then thought to the convention held a week earlier, and I recalled that Ernie was not in attendance.  I instantly called my father, and told him to turn on any news channel.  He had tears in his eyes, as did I.  From that point, I looked at Twitter and watched Comcast SportsNet until 11. I decided it was time to call it a night, but I couldn't fall asleep. I decided to turn on every Cub fan's favorite radio station: WGN Radio 720, the station that the Cubs were heard on for nearly 90 years.  The radio host, who I do not remember, postponed everything that she had planned for her 3 hour show, and took phone calls for three whole hours.  I noticed that all the stories had no negativity in them, and I said "Because it's Ernie Banks"

Saturday was a solemn day not only to Chicago,but to the entire MLB community.  It was the top story on every newscast, every sports radio show, and in every newspaper.  I will never forget that night, and we will never forget Mr. Cub, Ernie Banks.


GET INTERACTIVE

Send me an email to chicubsupdates@gmail.com describing how you reacted to the news that Ernie Banks had passed away.  I will be sharing them on my Twitter page throughout the day. If you don't want it to be posted on Twitter, please note that somewhere in the email. 

-YOUR EMAIL ADDRESSES WILL NOT BE SEEN ON TWITTER-

@ChiCubsUpdates

No comments:

Post a Comment